Shay No. 8 at Spruce - ca. 1916
Shay No. 8 is pictured here at the Spruce water tank. Built in 1912, this was the first big Shay engine purchased at Cass. According to Roy Clarkson, she weighed 120 tons with cylinders 15- inches in diameter, a 17-inch stroke and 40-inch drivers. It had a steel cab with a side entrance and was equipped at the factory with an acetylene headlamp. The No. 8 was used mostly on the Cass Hill and because of its size could bring eight to 10 cars off the mountain at one time. It was also used to take trains up -rade from Slaty Fork to Spruce. Sam Waugh was the engineer. Shay No. 8 was in use until 1931 when it was placed on the Dead line and finally scrapped in 1939. (Courtesy of Pocahontas County Historical Society, ID: PHS000338)
Access the “Preserving Pocahontas” Digital Library at www.pocahontaspreservation.org
If you have photographs or documents to be scanned for the county Historical Archive Project contact Preservation Officer B. J. Gudmundsson at 304-799-3989 or email firstname.lastname@example.org Prints of photographs from the archives are available.