BOE holds short, productive meeting
The board of education held a special meeting Monday night to discuss several hirings and transfers.
Laura Young, of the Family Resource Network and grant manager of the Innovation Zone Dropout Prevention Grant asked the board to consider changing the part-time interventionist job to a full-time position. She explained that there are currently 10 to 12 students in danger of dropping out or that have dropped out of school already.
The board agreed that it was an important position and since it was written into the grant as a full-time position, the board would not have to pay for the extra time.
The board approved to hire Carolyn Lester for the half-time position and will post a second half-time interventionist position.
Young said she thought it would be beneficial to have two interventionists to work on the dropout issue.
• Contract between Pocahontas County Board of Education and Alice R. Irvine to provide transitional services to the treasurer/director of finance at a daily rate of pay of $334.84, not to exceed 20 days, not to exceed $6,696.80.
• Memorandum of Understanding between The Education Alliance and Pocahontas County Board of Education, effective August 1 and shall terminate on July 31, 2014.
• To reimburse the Pocahontas County Family Resource Network for funds expended from October 15, 2012 through January 16, 2013, in the amount of $5,749.98.
In personnel management, the board approved the following:
• Requested transfer of Ricky I. Sharp, II, from principal at Hillsboro Elementary School to principal at Green Bank Elementary-Middle School, effective for the 2013-2014 school year, at state salary based on degree and experience, plus equity. Term of employ is 220 days.
• Abolish posting of teacher of multi-subjects, second grade, at Marlinton Elementary School, effective March 5.
• Consent to Change Rebecca A. Spencer from teacher of multi-subjects, second grade, at Marlinton Elementary School to teacher of multi-subjects, first grade, at Marlinton Elementary School, effective for the 2013-2014 school year.
• Abolishment of Position teacher of multi-subjects, second grade, at Marlinton Elementary School, effective for the 2013-2014 school year.
• Abolishment of two positions teachers of multi-subjects, half-time, at Marlinton Middle School, effective for the 2013-2014 school year.
• Creation of position teacher of physical education/health at Marlinton Middle School, effective for the 2013-2014 school year at state basic pay based on degree and experience, plus equity. Term of employment is 200 days.
• Employment of Carolyn A. Lester as at-risk interventionist at Pocahontas County High School, effective March 6 until May 3, at $20 per hour, 15 hours per week, not to exceed $7,500.
• Employment of Justin S. Rider as treasurer/director of finance, effective March 18, at a salary of $69,000, includes state basic incremental pay as provided by the state. Term of employment is 71 days for the remainder of the 2012-2013 fiscal year. Term of employment is 261 days each year thereafter.
The next board meeting will be Monday, March 11, at 7 p.m. in the board of education conference room.
Suzanne Stewart may be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org