Neighbors and Frost VFD prevent calamity
Emery Grimes, of Marlinton, was driving by the Roy Carpenter residence in Frost on Sunday afternoon, on the way to feed his cows, when he saw a fire burning in the shed behind the house. Grimes went to Deb's Place store and called 911 to report the fire. Despite the danger of a propane tank near the blaze, Grimes, along with John Ryder and Kevin Johnston, went to the Carpenter house and attempted to use a garden hose to douse the fire, but the hose was frozen. Frost VFD arrived quickly and extinguished the burning shed, which housed Carpenter's wood-burning furnace and a large amount of firewood. The vinyl siding on the rear of the Carpenter house was badly scorched and firefighters said the house certainly would have caught on fire, if not for the swift action of the neighbors and firefighters. Carpenter and his wife, Cora Lee, were not home at the time of the blaze.