Durbin Town Council to utilize state auditorﾒs purchase card program
Two representatives from the state auditorﾒs office presented a new purchasing card program Monday night at the Durbin town council meeting.
Regional field representative Dale Usey explained the program, which allows municipalities to pay all bills with one card.
ﾓThe card is like a credit card, but better,ﾔ Usey said. ﾓYou use the card like a credit card and United Bank pays the vendor within a couple of days. Then, the town has 60 days to pay the bank.ﾔ
With the card program, treasurer Veronica Lane can pay all the bills through one place, instead of writing checks to several vendors.
Along with saving the town money, the town will earn a one percent rebate on all purchases.
ﾓThe best part about this program is, it doesnﾒt cost you a thing,ﾔ Director of Local Government Programs Jack Berry said.
Berry added that if the card is used in a fraudulent way, United Bank and Visa will pay back the lost money and prosecute the person who stole the money. The town will never lose any money and all purchases are monitored by the bank and auditorﾒs office.
Councilmembers and Mayor Donald Peck discussed the program and agreed it would be beneficial for the town. Council approved to sign up for the program.
In other updates, council discussed:
* New rules and procedures for town meetings and town officials. Items included changing the meeting date to the second Tuesday of each month.
* Advertising items that are stored at the town building to be sold.
* Getting an estimate on sidewalk repairs for several sections of sidewalk in town.
* A letter from the Elk Headwater Watershed Association requesting tha a member of council attend a meeting March 16 in Lewisburg. The meeting will include a discussion about algae on the Greenbrier River.
* A homeowner sent a letter asking council to consider purchasing decorative flags for the beautification of the town. Peck and councilmembers will research prices for the flags.
A budget work session will be March 15 at 6 p.m. at town hall.